Tuna salad is a favorite due to its nutritious benefits as well as its ease of preparation. It is one of the main ingredients alongside mayonnaise in a tuna salad.
People who are on a diet or are health conscious substitute the mayonnaise with mashed avocado and hummus as well.
The sandwich is typically served by itself. But it makes an excellent side dish along with other food such as avocado, lettuce, and crackers as well.
In America, the tuna salad has been eaten since 1907. The tuna that is used in the salad is usually one that is precooked and canned in oil or water.
If you love this salad and eat it often, you might want to know how long does tuna salad last? Learn about the shelf life of a tuna salad in this post and also about the signs of a spoilt tuna sandwich.
- DELICIOUS, MILD FLAVOR: StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water is wild caught and dolphin safe. Each of our convenient, nutrient dense tuna cans contains 100% all-natural chunk light tuna that is perfect for quick snacks or meals on the go.
- EXCELLENT SOURCE OF PROTEIN: Our tuna is a natural source of protein and Omega 3s, plus it has 20g of protein and 90 calories per serving. It’s soy free, gluten free and works well with Keto, Paleo, Mediterranean and Weight Watchers diet plans!
- ADD VARIETY TO YOUR DIET: Tuna is a wholesome choice for a snack or meal that fits into an active lifestyle. StarKist tuna in water is a great and easy way to add seafood to your diet.
- VERSATILE: StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in water is a versatile and easy way to liven up a meal. It can be used in cool tuna salads, hot casseroles, on sandwiches, and even eaten on its own as a snack or meal!
- BULK 8 PACK: Buy your tuna in bulk with the StarKist 8-Pack of canned tuna. These tuna cans are easy to store and great to have handy for when hunger strikes!
Does Tuna Salad Go Bad? How Long Does Tuna Salad Last?
A tuna salad with mayo lasts up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Beyond this time, it is not safe to be eaten anymore.
The combination of fish and the mayo is not ideal for it to last longer than the above period. It is not particular to tuna salad, but also egg salad and chicken salad.
If the salad has not been packaged and stored correctly inside the fridge, it will not last longer than an hour. Mayonnaise stored at room temperature goes bad pretty fast.
So it is best to discard it as it can cause food poisoning.
Unlike other items of food that can be frozen, a tuna sandwich cannot be frozen. It is because mayonnaise contains eggs as one of the main ingredients.
This causes a change in the texture and consistency of the salad. If you freeze a tuna salad, be prepared to be greeted with a soggy leftover.
The best way to store a tuna sandwich in the fridge is to put it in airtight freezer containers. This will keep the sandwich fresh for up to 5 days.
The time you store the sandwich also counts as well. You should store the sandwich within an hour of preparation if you know you will not eat it within the hour.
How to Tell if Tuna Salad is Bad? Tuna Salad Shelf Life!
The side effects of eating spoiled food can be very upsetting. So it is essential to recognize the signs of food getting spoiled before it reaches your mouth. Tuna or other dishes with fish as the main ingredient can be tricky to spot when it is going bad.
Fortunately for us, there are some signs that you can watch out to tell if the tuna salad has gone bad or not.
The reason why tuna sandwich gets spoiled is a combination of warm temperature and the activity of microorganisms. The toxins from bacteria can cause a severe form of food poisoning called scombroid in humans.
- Rubbermaid Brilliance 100% leak-proof food storage containers feature BPA-free Tritan lids and bases with 360-degree clarity; airtight seal and secure latches prevent spills and leaks and help keep food fresh and secure
- Perfect for a variety of occasions and events—like lunches, snacks, meal prep, parties, holidays, and more
- Crystal-clear containers are clear like glass so you can always see what’s inside, but are light and easy to carry; stain-resistant material keeps plastic food container looking like new, and resists odors
- Built-in vents under latches allow splatter-resistant microwaving with the lid on
- Containers stack perfectly to one another to save space and stay organized in the pantry or fridge
A tuna sandwich is a nutritious snack that is high in vitamins and fiber. It is also very easy to prepare even for those who are averse to cooking. But this healthy salad has a relatively short shelf life. This is the main reason why most people prefer making fresh tuna sandwiches instead of eating a refrigerated leftover.
If, however, you have a hectic schedule and prefer to prepare your food in bulk, remember to store it as soon as it is prepared. This way, you will have fresh tuna sandwiches every time without compromising your stomach and overall health in general.