Sunflower seeds are used in snack bars, multigrain bread or even as a snack for when you are on the go and don’t have anything else at hand.
The little seeds are packed full of goodies like healthy fats, proteins and minerals, making them a healthy and fulfilling treat. Not the mention the fact that they reduce the risk of inflammation and heart disease, as pointed out by Healthline.
A problem a lot of people face is with their usage. These seeds are excellent for birds and snacking, but other than that, they are not quite as usable as something like almonds, walnuts or chestnuts, all of which make better snacks.
Hence, it might be a bit hard to instantly use them, even more so if you have bought them in bulk. If you have a bundle of these seeds, you might be wondering, do sunflower seeds go bad? We are here to answer this question for you.
Do Sunflower Seeds Go Bad? How Long Does Sunflower Seeds Last?
Sunflower seeds do go bad and don’t last long in the pantry but remain great for a long time if you want to freeze them. That being said, raw sunflower seeds usually last for:
On the other hand, roasted sunflower seeds last for:
Roasted seeds last longer due to their lack of moisture. As moisture is the main factor leading to mold in oily foods, decreasing the moisture content by roasting can increase the shelf life.
Sunflower seeds don’t last long in the pantry in any form and have the shortest Best By date compared to similar seeds such as flax seeds, sesame seeds or chia seeds. This is a stark difference compared to the stellar shelf life of sunflower oil, which is about 2 years.
Keep in mind that while sunflower seeds may last longer after being frozen, the taste degrades over time. The seeds may look completely fine, but the taste would become far more generic and bland by the time they have gone completely bad.
- One 5.85 oz. jar of Planters Dry Roasted Sunflower Kernels
- Crunchy goodness in every handful of Planters Dry Roasted Sunflower Kernels
- Premium dry roasted sunflower kernels seasoned with salt for a toasty taste
- Good source of fiber
- Trans fat-free and cholesterol-free, with 15 grams of fat per serving
How to Tell If Sunflower Seeds are Bad? Sunflower Seeds Shelf Life!
The signs for spoiled sunflower seeds are not as apparent as other edibles, but you can spot them with a keen eye. According to The Spruce, these include:
- 1Growth of mold
- 2Presence of insects
- 3Difference in aroma
- 4Bland taste
The appearance of mold is especially true for seeds with high oil content such as sunflower seeds. Hence, keeping them in a cool place away from heat and moisture is a must. Keep in mind that these seeds have great freezing potential, which comes in handy if you want some more oomph out of your seeds.
As always, the taste test holds supreme. Just pop a seed in your mouth and taste if it is still worth eating. If you feel something amiss, no need to take any health risks; just toss the seeds.
- Great Holiday Gift! FLiPLOCK food storage containers keep your dry foods fresh and pantry organized. Innovative window lid with silicone gasket creates an air tight and leakproof seal. Easily press handle down to lock the lid in place and raise to open. Contemporary square design maximizes counter and cabinet space.
- Set includes 6 Canisters in four sizes: 1 X large (2300 ml - about 2.5 qt), 2 large (1700 ml -1.8 qt), 2 medium (1100 ml- 1.1 qt) & 1 small (450ml – 0.5 qt). Perfect combination of sizes for a variety of foods. Acrylic bases look like glass, but aren't as heavy. Clear bases and windows in the white lids allow you to view contents at a glance in both a pantry and drawer! Lids are interchangeable. All containers stack perfectly to save space and maintain organization
- Different size canisters allow for a variety of storage option. Great for storing dry goods and kitchen staples including flour, sugar, pasta, oats, beans, nuts, cereals, snacks, pet food and baking ingredients. The XL container can easily hold tall spaghetti noodles
- Use for storage in the kitchen and around the house. Can be used to store craft supplies, toys, office or bathroom products. Silicone can be removed and put in dishwasher. Other parts should be hand washed. Do not use in microwave or oven
- Sturdy heavy-duty containers made with high quality durable 100% food grade & BPA-free materials to strict FDA guidelines. Toxin-free. Freezer Safe. Designed to resist stains and odors and withstand everyday use. These are the only containers you can store in a drawer and still view the contents through the clear windows in the lids!
All in all, sunflower seeds might not be the best alternative if you just want a seed to snack on, but they have a decent calorie count. With proper storage, they can last you long enough for you to safely consume them.