Oatmeal is prepared by stripping the outer layer of oat grains. Oatmeal is of two types Ground oats and Steel-cut oats. Oats are very beneficial for health, and people generally consume oatmeal as a breakfast mix with water or milk, adding a small amount of sugar.
Oats are an essential ingredient in the preparation of many kinds of cereal. Oats are used as an item in the preparation of granola. Oatmeal pancake made with cornmeal and quinoa is also a popular breakfast item.
Oats are highly fibrous and nutritious. Oats also contain a plant build compound known as Polyphenol that includes a high level of avenanthramide antioxidant. This antioxidant helps to improve blood flow and reduce itching and inflammation.
Oatmeal is a popular choice of breakfast for many people, but have you ever wondered how long does oatmeal last? Let's take a look at if oatmeal goes bad and how long it can last.
Does Oatmeal Go Bad? How Long Does Oatmeal Last?
Anything edible tends to go bad if not stored properly. Un-cooked oatmeal turns out to have a longer shelf life, which means if oatmeal is stored correctly, it can last for some years. Make sure the oatmeal is stored in an airtight container and kept in a dry and cool environment.
However, the quality of oatmeal will reduce over the years, which will result in a change of flavor. The shelf life of oatmeal differs from how it is stored or its packaging. In the case of cooked oatmeal, if stored in the refrigerator will last for about 4-6 days.
Since lower temperature prevents or slows the growth of harmful micro-organisms. If you leave the oatmeal open in the room temperature without storing it in the refrigerator, bacteria will start growing within a few hours. If you want to further maximize the storage of cooked oatmeal, transfer it to an airtight container and freeze it.
Freezing extends the shelf life of cooked oatmeal for at least 2 to 3 months. However, there is absolute oatmeal that comes with added flavors like fruits and nuts. This type of flavored oatmeal tends to go bad sooner than plain oatmeal.
Flavored oatmeal, if stored in a cool and dry place, can last for at least six to nine months. Oatmeal is also manufactured as seamed and un-steamed. Un-steamed oatmeal tends to go bad faster because the oil contained in the oatmeal makes it prone to spoilage.
So if you purchase un-steamed oatmeal, make sure to store it in the refrigerator. That way, the oatmeal will last for a year.
- Contains 48 packets - 23 Lower Sugar Maple & Brown Sugar, 13 Lower Sugar Apples & Cinnamon, 7 Lower Sugar Cinnamon & Spice, 5 Original flavor
- 35% less sugar than Quaker Instant Oatmeal regular flavors. See nutrition facts.
- Good Source of Fiber – Quaker Oats provide a good source of fiber to support a healthy digestive system. See nutrition facts for total fat per serving.
How to Tell if Oatmeal is Bad? Oatmeal Shelf Life!
Although oatmeal does not get rancid fast, there are still chances oatmeal can go bad if not properly stored.
Do not expose oatmeal to water or heat as it will go rancid quickly. As molds grow where there is moisture. Here are ways to help you decide if your oatmeal has gone bad:
- GRAIN STORAGE CONTAINER: This dishwasher safe grain storage container features a silicone seal that keeps rice, beans, quinoa, oatmeal & other grains fresh longer. It can hold up to 2.5 quarts.
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: This container has a hinged lid that flips back for a better fit in the dishwasher, a wide opening for easy use, & measurement markings that show remaining amount. Includes scoop.
- MEAL PREP MADE EASY: Our food storage containers enhance the convenience of everyday meal preparation for the busy home cook. We offer airtight, secure storage canisters for all your kitchen needs.
- STYLISH DESIGN & SOLID FUNCTIONALITY: Our philosophy is simple—offer stylish designs with no-nonsense functionality. We understand the kitchen is the heart of the home, where family & friends connect.
- INNOVATING KITCHEN ESSENTIALS: We boast over 40 years of innovating kitchen products & housewares with unique gadgets & tools for food preparation plus thoughtfully designed food storage containers.
Consuming oatmeal can help stabilize blood pressure and lower cholesterol. Oats also contain properties that can protect your heart and also reduce colon cancer. A gluten-free diet is ubiquitous these days because of the health risk; It is excellent news that oatmeal is Gluten-free.
Oatmeal is also very filling, thus helps in balancing your weight. Oats contains beta-gluten, which helps reduce high cholesterol and eventually lowers the risk of some cancer-causing agent. Oatmeal contains healthy fats and is rich in vitamins and minerals.