We can make maple syrup from the sap of sugar maple, red maple, black maple, or other similar maple tree species. It is generally very sweet.
Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, in her article, mentions that maple syrup can also be used in sweets and added to sauces for savory dishes.
Although we best describe maple syrup as sweet, it has a unique flavor, too, almost like caramel. When it comes to appearance, it has a vibrant color like amber. It is smooth in texture and looks a lot like honey.
However, just because it looks like honey, that doesn’t mean it can last as long. Maple syrup does go bad.
This reason is why you should make sure that your maple syrup is good and fresh before having it so that you don’t fall sick.
Does Maple Syrup Go Bad? How Long Does Maple Syrup Last?
The general conception with maple syrup is that it can last a long time without going bad, which is true, but only when we store it properly and correctly.
If you don’t seal the bottle or jar properly, then this will allow other unwanted contaminants to enter, which will lead to its spoilage over time.
On average, according to an article by Emily Han, an opened bottle of maple syrup can easily last up to a year or two, if you store it in the refrigerator.
When we leave an opened bottle of maple syrup out in the open for a long period, then it will go bad and start growing mold. It is essential to remember to keep the maple syrup inside the fridge once opened.
As for unopened bottles of maple syrup, you can store them in cool, dry places like kitchen cabinets or pantries. It doesn’t even have to be in the fridge.
Maple syrup can remain good and fresh for months and even years in these conditions.
If you are planning to store your bottle or jar of maple syrup for a very long time, putting them in the freezer is an excellent option. The syrup itself does not freeze like water.
So, you can thaw it normally for a few minutes and use it, again and again, this way.
How to Tell If Maple Syrup is Bad? Maple Syrup Shelf Life!
Even though it is a very rare occurrence for maple syrup to go bad, there are times when this may happen. It is always better to prepare for the worst.
For this reason, we have listed out some of the things you can do to check if your maple syrup has gone bad:
- TASTES LIKE REAL MAPLE SYRUP: The perfect mix of water, tapioca fiber, non-GMO Lakanto Monkfruit Extract, natural flavors, sea salt, and other quality ingredients makes this sugar free maple syrup a perfect topping for pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, granola, frostings, marinades, salad dressings, and other sweet, sugar free treats. You may also use it with beverages like coffee and tea.
- SUGAR FREE CONDIMENT: Our keto sugar free syrup has 1 net carb and lower calories than traditional maple syrup; Plus, it’s all natural, low glycemic, and gluten free.
- LIFESTYLE FRIENDLY: Lakanto Sugar Free Maple Flavored Syrup works with ketogenic, diabetic, candida, paleo, vegan, low carb, low sugar, non-GMO, and all natural diets. Diabetics and dieters alike can enjoy the texture, taste, and sweetness of syrup without spiking their glycemic index.
- REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING: For best results, we suggest to consume Lakanto’s low carb sugar free syrup within 90 days after breaking the safety seal and refrigerate after opening.
- THE ULTIMATE BREAKFAST: Our syrup is vegan, all natural, and does not contain any artificial ingredients. This maple sugar free syrup makes a great topping and additive for a healthy lifestyle. For the ultimate ketogenic breakfast, savor the rich, smooth, maple-like flavor of our syrup on top of Lakanto Pancake and Waffle Mix.
Even though maple syrup contains a lot of sugar, it is still a healthier alternative to processed sugar, as it is a natural sweetener.
It also contains small amounts of minerals, which gives it an added nutritional value. It is very versatile and can be added to a lot of dishes and snacks to make them tastier.
You also don’t have to worry too much about it getting spoiled as this happens very rarely. So, lead a healthier and happier life with maple syrup, free from worries.