Coleslaw is a salad where the main ingredient is cabbage served with other vegetables, salad dressing, sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar and salt. Coleslaw is usually served cold and is considered as a summer salad (recipes).
There is a little bit of history involved in this iconic salad, the word ‘coleslaw’ is derived from the Dutch word ‘koolsla’. ‘Kool’ means cabbage and ‘Sla’ is the short form for the Dutch word ‘Salade’ which obviously means salad.
Dutch settlers came to New York in the 17th century during which ‘koolsla’ was popularized. With time, it was anglicized to coleslaw for the whole world to know.
Now, coleslaw is mostly eaten as a side dish and it is served high end restaurants to fast food restaurants. But what if you had leftover coleslaw? Does it go bad? Let’s read below!
Does Coleslaw Go Bad? How Long Does Coleslaw Last?
Coleslaw should be consumed immediately as it does not contain any preservative. With the passage of time, its overall quality would degrade and you would be left with inedible coleslaw and one that smells quite bad as well.
Whether you have prepared coleslaw or you have store-bought coleslaw, it should be stored in an air-tight container and should be put in the fridge within two hours of opening it or making it.
Even though the salad is refrigerated in an air-tight container, coleslaw should not be kept for more than three to five days and should be consumed within the stated number of days. In failing to do so, the salad should be thrown out and should not be attempted to eat it.
How to Tell If Coleslaw Is Bad? Coleslaw Shelf Life!
If the coleslaw has been kept in the open in room temperature for more than two hours, there is a high chance that bacteria have already taken hold of it. Coleslaw has all the ingredients that would attract microbial activities, and if it is not refrigerated, it would give off a sour to tangy odor. In this case, it should be thrown out, as it is already spoiled.
If you have left the coleslaw in the fridge way beyond its time, check for odors. If not, check whether it has a moldy appearance. If so, the coleslaw is beyond salvageable and should not be attempted to eat it.
If it does not have an off smell or a moldy appearance, you can still have a taste, and your taste buds would make the final verdict on whether it has gone bad or not.
- ✮ BUILD TO LAST - We have taken meticulous care to ensure that the containers you receive will last for years to come. Unlike most sellers on Amazon which have lids that easily break with use, our containers come with New and Improved Lids which are made up of High Impact Resistant and Durable ABS Plastic which means you don’t need to worry about the Lids breaking. Additionally the Lid-Lock Mechanism ensures maximum freshness and prolonged food storage.by creating 100% airtightness.
- ✮ BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK - We provide a higher TOTAL STORING CAPACITY unlike most others on Amazon. Includes 1 Large Container (8.0 cups /1.9 liters), 2 Medium Containers (5.1 cups /1.2 liters), 2 Small Containers (3.4 cups /0.8 liter), 2 Mini Containers (2.1 cups /0.5 liters). These air tight containers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes for all your storage needs.
- ✮ SUPERIOR BUNDLE - Your Complete Bundle comes with 7 BPA-FREE Premium Food-Storage Canisters, a Chalkboard Marker & BONUS Reusable Chalkboard Labels allowing You to organize your pantry like never before. This set comes in a beautiful box which makes it an IDEAL GIFT for any family. Nobody else in the market provides more Value to YOU than us
- ✮ VERSATILE CONTAINERS - MANY GREAT USES: These air-tight food-safe Keepers are not only IDEAL for storing dry foods such as flour, sugar, rice, grain, cereals, nuts, beans, snacks, pasta, coffee and tea and but they are also PERFECT for holding liquids such as water, juice, soup, and more. No need to worry about liquids spilling out, just push down the handle and let the airtight technology do it’s magic
- ✮ SPACE SAVING DESIGN - These Durable Square Containers have been especially designed to MINIMIZE SPACE, they are STACKABLE and will easily fit into your refrigerator, freezer or cupboard which enables you to get the kitchen organized and frees up space in the pantry. These clear Containers are also easy to clean, extremely USER FRIENDLY and ready to use.