Coconut flour, the well-received alternative of wheat flour, has been in high demand for quite a while. It may owe that to its lack of gluten and allergens, which makes it ideal for anti-gluten enthusiasts and people who suffer from allergies and are unable to consume wheat flour.
Whether you were interested in coconut flour for a paleo diet, are plagued by allergies, or just want to enjoy some coconut flour, go right ahead! It’s a natural health food and not only is it rich in healthy fats and nutrients, but it also helps stabilize blood sugars, as pointed out by Healthline.
All these qualities make coconut flour one of the best kinds of flours. However, even with all these benefits, there’s bound to be a catch, right?
Sadly, that also applies in this case in the form of its shelf life. If you were wondering, does coconut flour go bad, carry on reading to find out.
- USDA Certified Organic Pure Coconut Flour - 4 Pound Bag
- Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free
- High in Fiber & Protein with Low Moisture Content - Finest Milled Coconut Flour Available
- Plant Based Alternative to Conventional Wheat Flour
- Great for Plant Based, Gluten Free, Vegan, Paleo, Keto and Organic recipes!
Does Coconut Flour Go Bad? How Long Does Coconut Flour Last?
Coconut flour does indeed go bad. In fact, it doesn’t even last as long as all-purpose flour and tends to degrade in quality much quicker.
Opened coconut flour lasts as long as its expiry date in the pantry and for 3-6 months in the fridge and 6-12 months in the freezer after its expiry date. On the other hand, unopened coconut flour lasts for 3-6 months in the pantry, 6-12 months in the fridge and 12-24 months in the freezer after the expiry date.
The difference between the Best By dates of coconut flour and other types of flour is apparent. The prime factors that contribute to this decrease in longevity are oils and fats.
Coconut flour tends to oxidize and get rancid far quicker than regular flour. In this aspect, it is similar to almond flour.
Once flour gets rancid, the quality goes severely down. Furthermore, rancid foods not only have diminished nutritional value but may even harm your health, as pointed out by Dallas News.
In such a case, it is best to just buy another bag of flour instead of consuming rancid flour and unknowingly undermining your physical condition.
- Quality stainless steel construction. Capacity: 3C/24oz
- Old fashioned, classic hand crank sifter. A simple design that functions beautifully! This is the kind of sifter your Grandma used!
- Includes a 2 wire agitator. No wasted flour!
- Volume markings on the inside and outside of the sifter!
- Easy to use! Add ingredients, turn the crank, and the result is a light, even, fine powder. Essential for cakes with a very light, delicate texture, like angel food cake and sponge cake. Also perfect for flouring your work surface or giving food a light dusting of powdered sugar!
How to Tell If Coconut Flour Is Bad? Coconut Flour Shelf Life!
Just like coconut water, coconut flour has a few indications of spoiling. These include:
- 1Clumpy flour
- 2Weird smell
- 3Insects in the flour
- 4Bitter taste
These signs start to manifest by the time the coconut flour nears its final date.
Rancidity is eventual and inevitable in coconut or any fat-heavy flour. That’s why it is important to safely store or even freeze the flour. In addition, rancidity causes that off-putting smell we all hate and may even affect the taste.
On the other hand, insects or clumps may also point to spoiled flour. However, if they are few and far between, they be filtered through a flour sifter and the flour can be used without any worries.
Freezing prolongs the time the flour lasts for but only to a certain extent. Any further than that, and the flour begins to lose its distinct flavor, making consumption worthless.
- ✮ BUILD TO LAST - We have taken meticulous care to ensure that the containers you receive will last for years to come. Unlike most sellers on Amazon which have lids that easily break with use, our containers come with New and Improved Lids which are made up of High Impact Resistant and Durable ABS Plastic which means you don’t need to worry about the Lids breaking. Additionally the Lid-Lock Mechanism ensures maximum freshness and prolonged food storage.by creating 100% airtightness.
- ✮ BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK - We provide a higher TOTAL STORING CAPACITY unlike most others on Amazon. Includes 1 Large Container (8.0 cups /1.9 liters), 2 Medium Containers (5.1 cups /1.2 liters), 2 Small Containers (3.4 cups /0.8 liter), 2 Mini Containers (2.1 cups /0.5 liters). These air tight containers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes for all your storage needs.
- ✮ SUPERIOR BUNDLE - Your Complete Bundle comes with 7 BPA-FREE Premium Food-Storage Canisters, a Chalkboard Marker & BONUS Reusable Chalkboard Labels allowing You to organize your pantry like never before. This set comes in a beautiful box which makes it an IDEAL GIFT for any family. Nobody else in the market provides more Value to YOU than us
- ✮ VERSATILE CONTAINERS - MANY GREAT USES: These air-tight food-safe Keepers are not only IDEAL for storing dry foods such as flour, sugar, rice, grain, cereals, nuts, beans, snacks, pasta, coffee and tea and but they are also PERFECT for holding liquids such as water, juice, soup, and more. No need to worry about liquids spilling out, just push down the handle and let the airtight technology do it’s magic
- ✮ SPACE SAVING DESIGN - These Durable Square Containers have been especially designed to MINIMIZE SPACE, they are STACKABLE and will easily fit into your refrigerator, freezer or cupboard which enables you to get the kitchen organized and frees up space in the pantry. These clear Containers are also easy to clean, extremely USER FRIENDLY and ready to use.
Ultimately, while coconut flour may be for the health-conscious, it is best to consume the edible in a short while. Nonetheless, it is a great alternative to wheat flour and is sure to give you an appetizing meal filled with nutrition.