Cinnamon, the good old spice, has long since found its way into everyone’s hearts and for good reason. It has an exotic scent and is especially useful in the culinary world, but what truly makes it shine are its additional properties.
As stated by Healthline, not only is cinnamon anti-inflammatory, but it also helps lower blood sugar levels and even fights against heart disease. It is also high in antioxidants, just like walnuts. This, in conjunction with its unique taste and fragrance, makes it as practical as it is regal.
But there’s a problem. For most people, using a lot of it instantaneously isn’t possible. As such, cinnamon stays locked within the cupboards for an eternity only for you to find it years later and wonder, does cinnamon go bad?
Well, the good thing is, you are not the only person who’s asked that question. Without further ado, continue reading to find out more.
- Adds spicy warmth to savory dishes, especially slow-cooked stews
- Packaged in the U.S.A.
- Simmer in hot beverages, like mulled cider and hot toddies
- Crafted with care, from harvesting in Indonesia to bottling in the U.S.
- Consistent flavor, aroma and color in every bottle
Does Cinnamon Go Bad? How Long Does Cinnamon Last?
Cinnamon is a spice and as pointed out by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), spices never truly ‘expire.’ They are a shelf-stable product, which can be safely stored at room temperature and are non-perishable.
This comes with a catch. While spices do not expire per se, they do lose their distinctive flavor. This claim is further supported by Wide Open Eats. This means that while the cinnamon you left in the cabinet 8 years ago will probably be fine, its taste will have deteriorated to a point where it is not good enough to be consumed.
The Best By date for both opened and unopened ground cinnamon is a little over a year, while cinnamon sticks last for 3-4 years. Since these products are non-perishable at room temperature, they will easily last past their usage date.
Cinnamon sticks are far more fragrant and potent than ground cinnamon, not to mention their increased longevity. Thus, if you want better utility, cinnamon sticks might be the best option.
Over time, however, the loss in flavor will become increasingly apparent, making fresh cinnamon a far more reasonable option if you don’t consume cinnamon too much.
- ORGANIC CEYLON CINNAMON - Frontier Co-op organic Ceylon cinnamon (Botanical name: Cinnamomum verum) is a flavorful, high-quality spice that comes from the bark of an evergreen tree.
- DELICIOUS AND VERSATILE - Ceylon cinnamon is best paired with baked goods and hot drinks, but can be combined with anything to add a sweet and spicy kick.
- MILDLY SWEET AND SPICY - Unlike cassia cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon (also known as “true cinnamon”) has a much milder, sweet flavor. (The “verum” in Ceylon cinnamon’s botanical name is Latin for “true.”)
- AUTHENTIC, REAL CINNAMON - Frontier Co-op organic Ceylon cinnamon is sustainably grown in Sri Lanka. No artificial additives or chemicals are used during the growing and manufacturing processes.
- ABOUT US - Owned by stores and organizations that buy and sell our products, Frontier Co-op has been a member-owned cooperative since 1976. We support natural-living and our products are never irradiated or treated with ETO. We're committed to the health and welfare of the environment and everyone producing and consuming our botanical products.
How to Tell If Cinnamon Is Bad? Cinnamon Shelf Life!
As described above, cinnamon never truly expires, but there are many factors that contribute to it spoiling. They mainly involve improper storage. These include:
- 1Growths or clumps in cinnamon
- 2Faint taste
- 3Weak aroma
Clumps or growths pave the way for mold, and that’s pretty much always due to moisture somehow getting inside the container. To prevent this, make sure the container is completely sealed. If you see any clumps or growths in the cinnamon, it’s best to just throw it out.
The weak taste and scent are attributed to the passage of time. This is natural and can’t really be stopped. A similar process occurs in herbs such as bay leaves when they start to get old and lose potency.
- ✮ BUILD TO LAST - We have taken meticulous care to ensure that the containers you receive will last for years to come. Unlike most sellers on Amazon which have lids that easily break with use, our containers come with New and Improved Lids which are made up of High Impact Resistant and Durable ABS Plastic which means you don’t need to worry about the Lids breaking. Additionally the Lid-Lock Mechanism ensures maximum freshness and prolonged food storage.by creating 100% airtightness.
- ✮ BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK - We provide a higher TOTAL STORING CAPACITY unlike most others on Amazon. Includes 1 Large Container (8.0 cups /1.9 liters), 2 Medium Containers (5.1 cups /1.2 liters), 2 Small Containers (3.4 cups /0.8 liter), 2 Mini Containers (2.1 cups /0.5 liters). These air tight containers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes for all your storage needs.
- ✮ SUPERIOR BUNDLE - Your Complete Bundle comes with 7 BPA-FREE Premium Food-Storage Canisters, a Chalkboard Marker & BONUS Reusable Chalkboard Labels allowing You to organize your pantry like never before. This set comes in a beautiful box which makes it an IDEAL GIFT for any family. Nobody else in the market provides more Value to YOU than us
- ✮ VERSATILE CONTAINERS - MANY GREAT USES: These air-tight food-safe Keepers are not only IDEAL for storing dry foods such as flour, sugar, rice, grain, cereals, nuts, beans, snacks, pasta, coffee and tea and but they are also PERFECT for holding liquids such as water, juice, soup, and more. No need to worry about liquids spilling out, just push down the handle and let the airtight technology do it’s magic
- ✮ SPACE SAVING DESIGN - These Durable Square Containers have been especially designed to MINIMIZE SPACE, they are STACKABLE and will easily fit into your refrigerator, freezer or cupboard which enables you to get the kitchen organized and frees up space in the pantry. These clear Containers are also easy to clean, extremely USER FRIENDLY and ready to use.
Cinnamon is truly a master-class ingredient with an amazing shelf life and abundant health benefits. It might be enticing to keep using it for an endless amount of time, but as per the health guidelines, eventual replacement is a must.