Cashews are bundles of nutty goodness. They are inexpensive, taste good and offer tremendous nutritional value. According to Healthline, they have a plethora of benefits, from improving blood and eye health to lowering cholesterol levels.
Just by reading this, you might have the urge to try some cashews you bought a while back. However, it is possible that the packaging says best by 4 weeks and it’s already been more than 4 weeks.
After all, we don’t usually use nuts frequently. Plus, the nuts look just fine, which makes you question the validity of the label and ponder, do cashews go bad?
This definitive article is sure to answer any queries you have about the expiry of walnuts so you can get to that delectable nut-munching ASAP. So, without further ado, continue reading.
- SALTED CASHEWS: Roasted lightly salted nuts have rich, buttery flavor and a satisfying crunch
- PLANTERS NUTS: This 18.25 ounce resealable jar of PLANTERS Deluxe Lightly Salted Whole Cashews contains about eighteen 1 ounce servings and features a resealable lid designed to lock in long-lasting freshness
- ROASTED CASHEWS: These whole cashews are roasted in peanut oil for a satisfying crispy texture
- REDUCED SODIUM SNACKS: Contains 50 milligrams of sodium per 1 ounce serving compared to 100 milligrams in PLANTERS Deluxe Whole Cashews—a delicious snack for those reducing sodium in their diet
- KOSHER CERTIFIED LIGHTLY SALTED CASHEWS: PLANTERS cashews are great tasting snacks for those keeping Kosher
Do Cashews Go Bad? How Long Do Cashews Last?
Cashews last for a fair amount of time, but they do go bad over time. Nuts not only go bad but turn rancid. Rancidity occurs because the oil molecules in nuts tend to oxidize, which gives them strange flavors and pungent odors.
As explained by the experts, consuming rancid nuts may prove to be detrimental to your health (source). This also applies to cashew nuts.
Cashews are somewhere in the middle in terms of shelf life. They stay good longer than pine nuts and walnuts but not quite as long as almonds. Their exact life depends on their processing and storage conditions.
Both opened and unopened store-bought cashew nuts last for:
Cashews never come fully raw with their complete covering because the covering contains ‘urushiol,’ the same substance found in poison ivy, according to LiveStrong.
However, a few manufacturers provide raw cashews for culinary purposes. Their Best By date is roughly equal to that of processed cashews:
- 👌MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!! We’re proud of every I'M A NUT product. If you don’t love something, we’re happy to refund you
- 👌TOP QUALITY!! Our buying power allows us to choose the best quality for the best price!
- 👌100% NATURAL!! Sustainably grown without any toxic/sterilizing Class 1 pesticides or herbicides
- 👌ALWAYS FRESH: We restock very frequently so you can always have it as fresh as cashews can get!
- 👌CERTIFIED KOSHER!! Feel great knowing that our product is under the supervision of the Star K.
How to Tell If Cashews are Bad? Cashews Shelf Life!
Fortunately, it is incredibly simple to tell whether or not cashews have gone bad. This is because all the fats and oils present within these nuts deteriorate while giving very obvious indications:
As mentioned previously, the prime cause of rancidity is heat and air. These two ingredients oxidize the fat chains present in cashew nuts, forming new chemicals that are harmful for health, as stated by eHow.
As time passes, the minor oxidization of cashews continues and causes the nuts to darken and deteriorate, emitting a paint-like smell.
According to the online mold encyclopedia Moldpedia, mold grows due to oxygen and moisture. Hence, in humid locations, mold is more likely to grow on your cashews unless you freeze or refrigerate them.
- ✮ BUILD TO LAST - We have taken meticulous care to ensure that the containers you receive will last for years to come. Unlike most sellers on Amazon which have lids that easily break with use, our containers come with New and Improved Lids which are made up of High Impact Resistant and Durable ABS Plastic which means you don’t need to worry about the Lids breaking. Additionally the Lid-Lock Mechanism ensures maximum freshness and prolonged food storage.by creating 100% airtightness.
- ✮ BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK - We provide a higher TOTAL STORING CAPACITY unlike most others on Amazon. Includes 1 Large Container (8.0 cups /1.9 liters), 2 Medium Containers (5.1 cups /1.2 liters), 2 Small Containers (3.4 cups /0.8 liter), 2 Mini Containers (2.1 cups /0.5 liters). These air tight containers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes for all your storage needs.
- ✮ SUPERIOR BUNDLE - Your Complete Bundle comes with 7 BPA-FREE Premium Food-Storage Canisters, a Chalkboard Marker & BONUS Reusable Chalkboard Labels allowing You to organize your pantry like never before. This set comes in a beautiful box which makes it an IDEAL GIFT for any family. Nobody else in the market provides more Value to YOU than us
- ✮ VERSATILE CONTAINERS - MANY GREAT USES: These air-tight food-safe Keepers are not only IDEAL for storing dry foods such as flour, sugar, rice, grain, cereals, nuts, beans, snacks, pasta, coffee and tea and but they are also PERFECT for holding liquids such as water, juice, soup, and more. No need to worry about liquids spilling out, just push down the handle and let the airtight technology do it’s magic
- ✮ SPACE SAVING DESIGN - These Durable Square Containers have been especially designed to MINIMIZE SPACE, they are STACKABLE and will easily fit into your refrigerator, freezer or cupboard which enables you to get the kitchen organized and frees up space in the pantry. These clear Containers are also easy to clean, extremely USER FRIENDLY and ready to use.
To extend the life of your cashews, keep them in a cool and dark place sealed in an airtight container. A little effort can go a long way in improving its shelf life.
Now that you are all caught up with the preservation guidelines, make use of them and go enjoy some delicious cashews!