Almond flour has exceptional value among the various types of flours. This is because it works wonders for a paleo diet. It is made by letting almonds sit in boiling water to remove their skin, after which they are grinded. This entire process produces a fine flour.
As explained by Healthline, not only is almond flour rich in nutrients like vitamins and minerals, but it also helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol in addition to many other health benefits. All these features make almond flour a sure treat for health enthusiasts and people looking to get more out of their food.
Maybe you have some stored away at home this very moment, but surely there’s a drawback to all this, right? Well, not exactly, but in a way, yes. In case you have gotten curious and are thinking, does almond flour go bad, continue reading to find out more.
Does Almond Flour Go Bad? How Long Does Almond Flour Last?
Coming to the main question at hand, almond flour does go bad just like coconut flour. Here’s where that drawback comes into play.
While almond flour does offer immense nutritional value, it is also incredibly high in oil and fats. This property of almond flour is both a blessing and a curse. Without all that healthy fat, it would not be as nutritious, but with it, it falls prey to spoiling quickly.
Unopened almond flour lasts for 2-4 months in the pantry, 6-12 months in the fridge and 12-24 months in the freezer after its official expiry date.
Opened almond flour lasts as long as its expiry date in the pantry and for 3-6 months in the fridge and 6-12 months in the freezer after the expiry date.
In terms of shelf life, these figures are somewhat similar to those of coconut flour. However, when compared to something like all-purpose flour, the longevity of almond flour pales in comparison.
A silver lining to this is that almond flour has great freezing potential. Freezing prolongs its Best By date by several times! Keep in mind that while freezing is incredibly effective, keeping the flour past its expiry date will open the door for health hazards.
- STRONG AND LIGHTWEIGHT SIFTER HOLDS A FULL 3 CUPS: Home baking just got easier. This sifter holds more flour or powdered sugar than most sifters made for home use. Measurements are stamped right into the metal and can easily be read from inside the sifter as well as outside.
- CLASSIC RELIABLE HAND CRANK AND SINGLE MESH: Professionals prefer crank-style sifters over hand squeeze sifter models because they can stand up to repeated use without tiring out your hand. Sifting is effortless and clean up is super simple - no multi-layers of mesh for ingredients to get stuck.
- THE DOUBLE LOOP AGITATOR LEAVES NOTHING BEHIND: Lumps of flour and sugar can get left behind to clog the mesh screens when using squeeze handle models, but the Bellemain Flour Sifter cranks smoothly, capturing everything. Works great with fine and coarse flours like almond meal and oat bran.
- EASY FOR BAKERS WITH ARTHRITIS TO USE: Squeeze handles are hard to work and require hand strength - which means they can wear you out quickly. But the Bellemain Sifter’s hand crank operates smoothly and effortlessly - lightweight flours and sugars practically sift themselves.
- RUST RESISTANT STAINLESS STEEL WILL EASILY LAST A GENERATION OR MORE: Stainless steel is lightweight, but stronger than aluminum or plastic - so you never need to worry about cracks, chips, dents and scratches. This is the sifter that you'll still be using in 20 years
How to Tell If Almond Flour Is Bad? Almond Flour Shelf Life!
Since there is a high lipid content in almond flour, the indications of it starting to go bad are very obvious. These signs are listed below:
- 1Sour smell instead of the usual nutty smell
- 2Growth of pantry pests
- 3Bad taste
Pantry pests or insects are a common problem with nearly all types of flours. If the infestation is minor, a flour sifter works wonders. However, if the infestation gets out of hand, you have to toss the flour.
Rancidity also remains an imminent threat when it comes to flour and the like. The best bet against rancidity is freezing since by doing so, you can prevent contact with moisture and oxidation.
These problems would be less likely if the flour was stored in a cool and dark environment.
- ✮ BUILD TO LAST - We have taken meticulous care to ensure that the containers you receive will last for years to come. Unlike most sellers on Amazon which have lids that easily break with use, our containers come with New and Improved Lids which are made up of High Impact Resistant and Durable ABS Plastic which means you don’t need to worry about the Lids breaking. Additionally the Lid-Lock Mechanism ensures maximum freshness and prolonged food storage.by creating 100% airtightness.
- ✮ BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK - We provide a higher TOTAL STORING CAPACITY unlike most others on Amazon. Includes 1 Large Container (8.0 cups /1.9 liters), 2 Medium Containers (5.1 cups /1.2 liters), 2 Small Containers (3.4 cups /0.8 liter), 2 Mini Containers (2.1 cups /0.5 liters). These air tight containers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes for all your storage needs.
- ✮ SUPERIOR BUNDLE - Your Complete Bundle comes with 7 BPA-FREE Premium Food-Storage Canisters, a Chalkboard Marker & BONUS Reusable Chalkboard Labels allowing You to organize your pantry like never before. This set comes in a beautiful box which makes it an IDEAL GIFT for any family. Nobody else in the market provides more Value to YOU than us
- ✮ VERSATILE CONTAINERS - MANY GREAT USES: These air-tight food-safe Keepers are not only IDEAL for storing dry foods such as flour, sugar, rice, grain, cereals, nuts, beans, snacks, pasta, coffee and tea and but they are also PERFECT for holding liquids such as water, juice, soup, and more. No need to worry about liquids spilling out, just push down the handle and let the airtight technology do it’s magic
- ✮ SPACE SAVING DESIGN - These Durable Square Containers have been especially designed to MINIMIZE SPACE, they are STACKABLE and will easily fit into your refrigerator, freezer or cupboard which enables you to get the kitchen organized and frees up space in the pantry. These clear Containers are also easy to clean, extremely USER FRIENDLY and ready to use.
Almond flour may have won us all over with its nutritional benefits, but those advantages can be short-lived. Nonetheless, with a steady rate of consumption and proper storage, you can make the most out of your almond flour.